留学Essay写作需要掌握哪些思路?

Common Application(CA)目前是大家使用最多的美本网申系统。CA系统中最重要的主文书Personal Essay我们了解的都非常多了,申请人需要透过这篇最多650字的Essay告诉招生官你是一个什么样的人,以及你的个人特质、思维方法、兴趣爱好和有形技能如何形成了独特的组合从而造就了现在独一无二的自己。
  除了这篇主文书essay写作,CA系统中的附加文书(Supplement Essay)也是不少学校需要申请人必须完成的内容。这类文章虽然总体上没有主文书那么难写,但是由于每个学校的要求各不相同,碰到这类题目很多同学还是会犯怵。
  这里,我给大家介绍下附加文书的写作思路。通常,我们可以把美国大学的附加文书分为以下几类:
  -Tell us about yourself;
  -Why US;
  -Tell us more about an extra curricular;
  -Design a class/a major;
  -Tell us about your major;
  -Diversity-in-community essay;
  -Quick hits
  1 Tell us about yourself
  这类Essay,基本上相当于再写一篇CA的主文书,大学的主要目的还是为了“了解你是谁”,具体的写作思路和完成主文书一样,大家最重要的还是认真思考以下几个问题:
  1.“Who Am I?”
  2.“Why Am I Here?”
  3.“What is Unique About Me?”
  4.“What Matters to Me?”
  题目示例
  Harvard University:You may wish to include an additional essay if you feel that the college application forms do not provide sufficient opportunity to convey important information about yourself or your accomplishments.You may write on a topic of your choice,or you may choose from one of the following topics:
  -Unusual circumstances in your life
  -Travel,living,or working experiences in your own or other communities
  -What you would want your future college roommate to know about you
  ……
  2.1 The'why us'eassy
  有些学校会要求你解释为什么想去XX大学上学。
  题目示例
  Northwestern University:Other parts of your application give us a sense for how you might contribute to Northwestern.But we also want to consider how Northwestern will contribute to your interests and goals.In 300 words or less,help us understand what aspects of Northwestern appeal most to you,and how you'll make use of specific resources and opportunities here.
  Davidson College:Why Davidson?(250-300 Suggested Word Limit)
  Dartmouth College:100 words or less:While arguing a Dartmouth-related case before the U.S.Supreme Court in 1818,Daniel Webster,Class of 1801,uttered this memorable line:''It is,Sir…a small college.And yet,there are those who love it!''As you seek admission to the Class of 2023,what aspects of the College’s program,community,or campus environment attract your interest?
  2.2‘Why us'essay的写作策略
  A.思考下你的梦想是什么,你希望成为什么或者变成谁?了解你要申请的大学里有哪些具体的事情可以帮助你更好的实现梦想。
  B.不要写太泛的东西,说XX学校有多好;而是应该针对每个学校去仔细做学校研究,找到大学与自己的结合点。
  C.不要只是机械的搬用学校官网“关于XX大学”网页上的内容,而是应该去多做研究,了解一些具体的事情。比如,这个学校的哪节课、哪位教授与你可能产生某种具体或抽象的联系。重点要放在学术或活动等方面,不要太强调学校的天气、地理位置等。
  这里给大家看一篇范文,是一位学生写的Why Yale的文章。
  题目:What is it about Yale that has led you to apply?(125 words or less).
  I hope to study history or English,and Yale's departments in both are some of the best in the world.I am drawn to the interdisciplinary humanities offerings,including the Directed Studies program and the Humanities major.A writer,I also hope to work on the Yale Daily News or the Globalist.But it isn't just the caliber of academics that draws me to Yale.It's also the sense that the campus itself is comprised of history and knowledge.From Sterling Memorial Library,literally constructed as a cathedral to knowledge,to the buildings the architects poured acid on to make them look older,I felt a sense of almost ancient respect for intellect when I visited.
  这篇文章写的很棒,学生很好的把自己的学术兴趣与耶鲁联系在一起,并且举了具体的事例。学生自己的个人计划与耶鲁的精神也很好的结合在一起,这会让招生官觉得这位同学与耶鲁非常契合。
  3 Tell us more about an extra curricular
  有些大学要求申请人选一个在CA网申中填过的活动列表上的一个活动进行详细说明。这篇文章其实在多年前是CA系统的必写题目,只是最近几年改革后成为了一些学校的附加文书。
  题目示例
  Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences that was particularly meaningful to you.(About 150 words)
  写作策略
  A.选最有意义的一个活动,可以对其他申请材料起到很好补充的活动进行描述。这里提醒大家,这个活动Essay不是要总结你的活动有多厉害,或是得过什么奖,这些你的简历或者推荐信都已经可以说明了。这个Essay的目的是要告诉招生官他们无法在其他申请材料中可以了解到的信息。
  B.不要与主文书中提到的活动重复。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 2020-2021 tigtag.com |网站地图  
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部