Insights of UK interview

I got private message asking about interview techniques for big firm interview and I think it is good to share them here.
The process:
1) CV and cover letter screen
2) Aptitude test
3) Interview by HR
4) 1-2 days assessment center and interviewed by director
5) Job offered
The tricks
1) For students with no experience, of course a solid academic records are necessary. However, what differentiate you out of the others are the leadership skills and extra-curricular activities. If you are president of some committee at school, you are likely to be selected for interview. One common misunderstanding is that good academic record (even first class honours) will get you interview automatically - it is just not the case.
2) Aptitude test is ususally divided into 3 sections - Quantitative, Verbal and Analytical. Do not take it for granted that you will be fine for the test. The standard for big firm is very high. Typically you have to score 90% for Q and A and 80% for V (foreigners). Try go to career center to take the mock exam. and you will know where your weakness are. For those math and engineering students, don't take it for granted that you are fine for Q. The trick is the time management - you are likely running out of time for all sections. (my case, I got 80+, 70+ and 80+ for the first time) - the good thing is: training does help.
3) HR interview: it is where all the tough and tricky such as "what is your weaknesses", " can you think of a situation that...." will be shot to you. Be prepared as much as possible on possible questions you can think of and think it through your likely answers. Remember, one or two very impressive answers can compensate a lot of mistakes. Be mature and act like a professional. You are not students any more in the interview and no one will mercy your innocent and young age.
4) This is probably the toughest part. Big firms run all different kind of activities in assessment center. Some firms will place you in the hotels but some will place you in some sort of centers. Act like a business man in all ocassion - this is where foreigners stand out because they are so used to these environment. Typical activities includes: case studies, presentation, group discussion, team games, personal interview, extra tests etc. Try not to dominate all the activities (haveing too many personal opinions may not stand you out) because teamwork is usually what they are looking for.
5) If you are lucky to get through all of the above - congratulation, you are part of firm and the firm and the firm will apply for work permit for you.
All the above is only valid for those without any working experience. For those who have "relevant" experience, get a head hunter instead. Relevance is important since I know many students are trying to change their field. In this case, head hunters may not be of much helpful to you and you are likely to get through all of the above together with fresh graduate.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 2020-2021 tigtag.com |网站地图  
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部